The Index of multiple deprivation (IMD) combines information from the English Indices of deprivation (IoD). It is the Government's official measure of relative deprivation for LSOAs (Lower layer super output areas). LSOAs are small geographical areas of approximately 1,700 people. There are 128 LSOAs in Calderdale.
The IoD is a set of relative measures of deprivation for LSOAs across England, based on seven different domains of deprivation: Income, Employment, Education skills and training, Health and disability, Crime, Barriers to housing and services, and Living environment. There are also seven domain level indices and two supplementary indices - Income deprivation affecting children index (IDACI) and Income deprivation affecting older people index (IDAOPI). It is published every three to five years.
IMD 2019 results were published on 26 September 2019. Calderdale results are available, using the dashboard link on this page. More information is available at Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local government: English Indices of deprivation 2019.
- IoD Infographic and themed factsheets below
- IoD opendata for LSOAs (Lower layer super output areas) and wards below
- IoD 2019 factsheets for each ward can be found on the individual ward factsheets.
- Children's Centre Boundary areas data set for a postcode checker tool which includes IMD 2019 decile for each LSOA in the children's centre reach area.
- Calderdale areas by postcode dataset for a list of postcodes in Calderdale, their ward, and the IMD 2019 decile for their LSOA.
- Exploring local income deprivation - new animation by the Office for National Statistics about income deprivation at neighbourhood level as shown by the English Index of Income Deprivation 2019
You must be logged in to request access to this dataset.